No cancellation fee, cancel any time
Click button below to make a payment.
Tea Ceremony and Kimono Experience Osaka
We celebrate our most recent award from TripAdvisor as Japan’s Top Experiences, 2019, chosen by travelers’ reviews. We are the only tea ceremony venue in Japan receiving this award.
Kimono tea ceremony in Osaka by MAIKOYA. The tea ceremony is held in the traditional Japanese room conveniently located in downtown Osaka, walking distance from Dotonbori and 2 stops away from Umeda and Osaka Castle(OUR LOCATION). We have many beautiful kimonos to chose from and our friendly staff will explain everything in plain English. This once-in-a-lifetime activity involves:
- Traditional Japanese tea ceremony experience
- Wearing a beautiful kimono including hairdo (simple style) and hairpins for ladies
- Drinking matcha green tea
- Eating wagashi Japanese sweets
- Once in a lifetime cultural experience with the combination of kimono wearing, zen, harmony, perfectionism, minimalism, meditation, Japanese green tea and Japanese sweets
You will make a green tea (Matcha) in an ancient style Japanese tea ceremony room wearing Kimono. In this workshop, a qualified instructor will walk you through step by step of traditional tea ceremony. This is a ritual-like activity where ceremonial tea is prepared and presented to promote physical and mental well-being, mindfulness and harmony. It is also called the Way of the Tea. You will learn the foundations of the zen philosophy: Wa, kei, sei, jaku, which roughly translate as harmony, respect, purity and tranquility. You will observe how your host perfectly and harmoniously use all the traditional utensils to make the perfect cup of tea in way that has been done the same for about 400 years. And, finally, you will make your own tea and enjoy Japanese traditional sweets.
Your tea ceremony experience will include:
- An introduction to the Japanese tea ceremony and associated rituals
- This is taught by a friendly instructor who speaks English
- You will be encouraged to try traditional green matcha tea and Japanese styled sweets
- Only traditional tea ceremony utensils will be used
- The workshop will be taught to a small class of 6 or so people
- Relax in a classroom decorated in traditional Japanese décor and architecture
- Explanations of the ceremony’s history and technique in simple English
- Not only watching the demonstration but actually performing the ritual
- Friendly staff will help you chose the best kimono and wear it in a traditional way
- For ladies, we will give you the simple hairstyle matching with kimono
- If you are interested, many photo ops in front of a number of backdrops in our facility before or after the ceremony
- We also have tea ceremony artifacts and displays with detailed explanations in English that will help you better understand the subtle meanings and the rich history behind this unique tradition
Learn Japanese culture with all of your senses – especially your sense of wonder!
Just in case if you were wondering:
- You are allowed to ask the host questions about tea ceremony, zen and other cultural rituals
- You are allowed to take pictures in the tea ceremony room after the ceremony as well as the other rooms and in front of our unique backdrops
- You are allowed to sit comfortably on the floor (without sitting on your knees on the tatami mat). We also provide bamboo chairs for those who prefer not to sit on the floor
We are confident that this experience will be your best souvenir from Japan. You can easily make a reservation now by choosing the best date for you. Additionally, if you’d like you can reserve a PRIVATE tea ceremony here , or a tea ceremony session without wearing the kimono here .
It’s a feast to the eyes, to your ears and mind when a person preparing the hot water. Listening as the water dancing against the hot cast iron. It’s like a river murmuring. Incense would be lit and the smoke travels across your eyes like a silver dragon flying across the sky. She paused briefly as she flexed her wrist signifying the end of cleansing the bamboo ladle. So beautiful and therapeutic to gaze at. Her every move freezes time, space in all dimensions. You forget all your earthly frivolous needs.
Most Recent Social Media Posts
IncludedKimono costumeGreen tea and waterUtensilsEnglish Speaking tea masterHairdo for ladies (simple style)Edo-period traditional Japanese roomJapanese style backdropsExplanations about the steps, meanings, zen philosophy and the subtle traditions related to tea ceremonyJapanese sweets
Not IncludedTransportationHotel pickup and drop-off
MAIKOYAMaikoya Contact the Host
Address: 1 Chome-22-7 Shinmachi, Nishi Ward, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture 550-0013
Book online and get your voucher via email instantly!Maikoya Osaka offers unique cultural experiences where visitors can engage in various cultural activities such as the traditional tea ceremony, Japanese calligraphy, origami, kimono dressing and much more. Maikoya Osaka is the only place in Japan where visitors can meet and chat with a maiko in training anytime of the year.
Learning about a country through cultural workshops and activities will give you a better understanding of our intricate history, valued social principals and holistic way of life. By learning about Japan and its people through activities and lessons such as tea ceremony, kimono dressing, Japanese cooking and the life of a samurai, you will be immersed in different perspectives and approaches that are unique to this country. Maikoya offers you opportunities to understand this culture through local instructors and guides. There is no better way to learn about a new place from the viewpoints of those who grew up and live in this amazing country. What better way to spend a day than learning a traditional, beautiful new activity with a knowledgeable tutor in a picturesque setting? You wouldn’t find friendlier people to help you experience Japan in all its splendor. *** Please let us know if you have any food allergies, Halal, vegan or vegetarian preferences.Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
1- Do you accept walk-ins? For tea ceremony, kimono experience, calligraphy and the samurai experience we accept walk ins. However, there is a possibility that you may need to wait sometime to be served if you show up without any reservation. So, we kindly recommend reserving in advance.
2-Do you have kimonos for kids? Yes, we do have small size kimonos for kids. Just let us know the age/height of your child in advance.
3- Can I walk outside wearing the kimono for the rest of the day? This depends on the season.Some seasons we allow the customers to walk outside and take pictures. We have the kimono rental option, for a small additional fee you can stroll the streets of Osaka or visit Osaka castle by wearing a kimono for the rest of the day.
4- Do you provide any hairdo services? Yes (for females), we will make sure you look your best and your hair matches the traditional kimono style.
5- How far is your location from the Dotonbori area? How far is your location from Umeda? It is about 18-minute walk or 6-minute taxi ride from Dotonbori. It is about 10-minute train ride or a 15-minute taxi ride from Umeda.
6- Do you hold your activities in a Japanese house? I want to see inside of a Japanese house. Yes. You have to take your shoes off to get in and all the rooms have the interior like a traditional Japanese house.
7- Do you have discounts if I want to experience multiple events at once?. For individuals we usually can't offer any discount as we need to prepare for each activity in advance. For groups more than 4, who want to experience multiple activities, please drop us a message with the subject title multiple activities for groups.
8- Do you only show activities or you explain the meanings, symbols etc?. We are the only place that is supervised by college professors and and focus on cross-cultural awareness. Our experiences are lots of fun and also quite educational.
9- Do you have a souvenir shop where I can get matcha tea, tea ceremony set, calligraphy set, replica swords etc. to remember my experience?. Yes, we have a gift shop on the first floor.
Call Maikoya: 06-6556-6257