Ninja Experience in Kyoto for Kids and Families (Wear full ninja outfit)
Due to the covid-19 situation, we recommend you make a reservation in advance if you are interested in the experience at Samurai Ninja Museum.
Experience a fun ninja adventure with us and touch something sacred!
Our Ninja Experience for Kids and Families lets you become a ninja in training for a day with fun-filled activities for the whole family! This is the best-rated and most affordable ninja experience in Japan.
The Samurai & Ninja Museum Kyoto is a unique, experience-based museum that lets you get up close and personal with history. Thank you for our EXCELLENT ratings on TripAdvisor!
Book with us online to reserve a slot now!
Ninja Experience for Kids and Families
Lasts approximately 60 minutes
Your Ninja Experience Ticket includes:
- Wear a full ninja outfit: Become a modern ninja for one day as you explore our exhibits and participate in our fun activities.
- Ninja techniques: Learn some ninja techniques and fun facts in our ninja workshop!
Basic Ticket inclusions
Guided tour of the Samurai & Ninja Museum Kyoto:
- Learn about the history of the samurais and ninjas from our knowledgeable tour guides! The tours are available in English, Chinese, and Japanese.
- Learn how to throw ninja stars and use a blowgun!
- Samurai experience:
- Try on full samurai armor for your souvenir pictures.
Samurai Sword Show Demonstration
- Don’t miss a performance by an experienced swordmaster! This awe-inspiring show is performed every day for our guests.
- Guided tour of the Samurai & Ninja Museum Kyoto:
We offer an amazing ninja experience for kids and for the whole family in our traditionally designed Japanese tatami rooms in the museum – dress up the whole family in our ninja outfits, and have fun in our special ninja workshop!
Our basic ticket is included in this package, where you will go on a history tour of the Samurai & Ninja Museum. You will also get to dress up like a samurai family and learn how to use a ninja blowgun and throwing stars. Don’t forget to catch the samurai show! An experienced swordmaster performs demonstrations at the show every day.
Adult: ¥4500 / person
Child: ¥4200 / person
Book your Ninja Experience in Kyoto for Kids and Families on this page!
If you’re having difficulties or questions, contact us at email@example.com
Learn Japanese culture with all of your senses – especially your sense of wonder!
What happens during the Ninja Experience?
- You will learn about the ninja in Japan’s history and what kind of weapons and tools they used for their covert missions.
- Try on a full ninja outfit as you enter the museum and before you start on your tour! Our ninja uniforms come in all sizes, for kids and adults. One set includes the jacket or top, arm guards, a belt, loose-fitting pants, and a headband.
- Everyone in the family will be able to participate in games and workshops! The lessons will be fun and simple for the kids to enjoy.
- Don’t forget to take pictures of your experience!
- Enjoy an interactive tour where you will get to learn trivia and fascinating facts about Japanese history and culture. You will go through the samurai and ninja exhibits while our knowledgeable guide will tell you all about the displays, from the technical aspects to the wonderful stories that these items carried in their past lives. Ask all the questions you have about the displays and learn about the histories of the samurais and ninjas and when they started.
- Experience history like never before as you try on full samurai armor and pose with a sword – like the pictures of our past guests! You will even get a selection of varied replica swords to choose from.
- Discover your ninja skills and talent as you throw shuriken stars, and use a blowgun in a friendly target practice game.
- Catch a sword demonstration show by a sword master descended from a samurai! Here, you’ll get to admire the graceful and deadly dance performed by the samurai during battles and practices. You may also catch a recreational performance depicting a fight scene against the samurais and ninjas.
All of the activities are included in this package without additional fees. Book with us online to confirm your reservation!
The Ninja Experience Ticket is designed for families with kids
Looking for a ninja workshop for adults? Try our Ninja Experience in Kyoto for Adults SPECIAL Authentic Ninja Training Lesson!
The samurais and ninjas have long been intertwined with Kyoto throughout history, from the early Heian Period to the fall of their rule at the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate.
Get to know Japan’s mysterious shadow agents in a fun and interactive tour with friends and family! The Ninja Experience ticket turns you into a ninja for a day as you train (and play) with us. You’ll also get to wear a ninja costume, also known as ninja-yoroi!
Test your targeting skills with our fun activities like throwing a shuriken or ninja star and using a blowgun! You can even have a friendly competition with your friends and family during the training.
The Samurai and Ninja Museum is located in central Kyoto, right by the famous and historical Nishiki Market in the Gion District.
Interested in more in-depth samurai workshops, ninja training, and tea ceremonies? Check out our other events here!
About Samurai & Ninja tour
Explore our collection of ancient artifacts and historical samurai swords and ninja weapons from feudal Japan. You will even get up-close looks at the uncanny replicas inspired by the Sengoku Period up to the Tokugawa Shogunate. The Samurai & Ninja museum is Japan’s largest experimental museum and offers unique experiences where you can tour around the medieval exhibits while wearing a kimono, yukata, or samurai armor – a fitting combination for the time period you’ll be exploring. Aside from this, there are also authentic Japanese tea ceremonies and Zen meditation workshops available for individuals and groups. The Samurai & Ninja Museum tour is available all year-round in English, Chinese, and Japanese.
The true ninjas of old Japan may have disappeared in today’s society but the stories and legends of their deeds live on. Experience what it was like for these covert agents through the tours guided by our knowledgeable staff at the Samurai & Ninja Museum Kyoto!
Our ninja experience will have you look and train like the mystical covert agents and spies from all the old stories, and even the movies and shows you watched growing up! Visitors of all ages are welcomed and encouraged to have fun and explore history like never before.
All of the rooms and exhibits at the Samurai & Ninja Museum are designed in the styles of the Sengoku Period, also known as the Warring States Period in Japan. This era was the time when the samurai held extraordinary power over the politics in the country, enough to eventually trigger the reunification of Japan. Your adventure with us will transform you and your friends and family into a modern rendition of the ancient legendary warriors. Our armors come in unisex styles and a variety of sizes for everyone, including children!
The Samurai & Ninja Kyoto also hosts its activities outside the museum upon request. All you need to do is contact us so we can arrange for our affiliated dojos! Don’t forget to check out the museum gift shop for a souvenir. There are also antique samurai swords and armor for sale if you’re an avid collector, along with ninja tabi-socks.
A Brief History of the Ninja
The ninjas, also called shinobi, were covert agents, spies, and mercenaries during the feudal periods in Japan in the 15th century and as early as the 12th century. They were tasked to perform espionage, surprise attacks, and undercover warfare which was deemed beneath the honor of the samurai, the ruling class at the time.
The ninjas, unlike the samurai, were normally common folk or farmers by day who were hired as mercenaries and spies at night. The lack of records of their origins along with their undercover work gained the ninjas a reputation of being mysterious enough that rumors believed that they possessed supernatural powers and abilities. Folklores along with popular media even portray the ninjas as being able to fly, become invisible, walk on water, shapeshift, and even be able to control the elements of nature.
The existing records of the ninjas were only passed down through generations, and any historical records are extremely rare! Ninjas were typically born into the tradition, carrying on the secrets and missions of their predecessors.
Their training starts from childhood, similar to the samurai. However, the samurai follow the Bushido code of honor while the ninjas did not have any such thing.
There were two clans, the Iga and Koga clans in the modern-day Mie Prefecture that had entire villages dedicated to training professional ninjas. They were so good at what they do that the great Oda Nobunaga marked the Iga clan as a threat and almost completely wiped the area.
A famous ninja, Hattori Hanzo, was one of the ninjas from the Iga clan who survived and became a bodyguard for Tokugawa Ieyasu.
Fun facts about the Ninja
- The only way to become a ninja was to be born in Iga or Koga clans.
- Ninjas could tell the time by just looking at a cat’s eyes.
- Ninjas used the fukiya or blowgun tubes as snorkels when they have to hide in the rivers or lakes
- Recovered ninja manuals focused on avoiding detection and how to escape if captured. Most ninja skills and training were passed down from generation to generation and started at an early age.
- Ninjas had vegetarian diets to avoid having body odor.
- Some parts of ninja education consist of physical training, martial arts, climbing techniques, and castle infiltration.
- Rumors and folklore believe that ninjas could walk on water!
When is the Samurai & Ninja Museum open?
Our museum is open with tours available every day from 10:30 am to 8 pm.
Will there be real weapons during the workshop experience?
No. For the safety of our guests, the experience will only include model and replica items. If you’re interested in using a real katana, we recommend checking out our tameshigiri workshop on our events page!
Are the exhibits real artifacts?
Each item in the museum has been authenticated and is maintained well for your viewing pleasure. The items used for the experiences, however, are models and duplicates to ensure the safety of our guests and the artifacts in our collection.
Can I buy a real sword like a katana?
Yes! We sell authenticated swords at our museum. You can talk to us during your visit or contact us online using the emails listed at the end of this page.
What is the best way to experience the Samurai & Ninja Museum?
We have a variety of tickets with experiences for you to choose from. The Ninja Experience is ideal for groups since there are more friendly competitions involved.
Do I need to book in advance?
We accept walk-in guests but we highly recommend booking in advance before your trip especially during peak seasons to avoid the crowd. Keep this in mind when you’re traveling in early April and mid-November!
What do I need to bring for my ninja experience?
If you have a reservation for us, make sure you bring an ID or confirmation so we can book you in! Other than that, you don’t need to bring anything besides yourself and your group. Your costumes and props will be provided by us.
Can girls participate in the ninja experience?
Ninjas don’t discriminate between boys and girls! Any good ninja warrior of any age can use the prop weapons and wear our ninja uniforms. Our provided costumes are unisex and are made in a variety of sizes for kids and adults.
Skip the lines and book a Ninja Experience with us online!
Simply fill the form at the top of this page to schedule a tour and wait for a confirmation email from us. We hope to see you soon!