No cancellation fee, cancel any time
Click button below to make a payment.
Guided Museum Tour and Samurai & Ninja Experience in Kyoto
FALL CAMPAIGN! Enter the coupon code “Leaves” for an ADDITIONAL 20% OFF. We celebrate our most recent award from TripAdvisor as Japan’s Top Experiences, 2018 chosen by travelers’ reviews.
Guided tour of the museum + ninja experience + samurai experience. Approximately 60 minutes. 98% satisfaction rate.
Samurai and Kyoto have always been associated throughout history. From the early Heian period to the collapse of the Tokugawa shogunate the samurai and ninja always roamed the streets of Kyoto. Now they are back! The samurai and ninja museum brings back the history and helps you to have a glimpse of these heroes’ glorious lives. What is more, you can have a hands on experience including wearing a samurai armor, doing a shuriken (ninja star) throw and using a ninja blowgun all in one place, all included in the tour. Your ticket includes:
- Guided tour of the Kyoto Samurai & Ninja Museum: Explanation of the samurai and ninja history (Approx. 30 minutes)
- Ninja experience: throwing ninja stars and using a blowgun (Approx. 15 minutes)
- Samurai experience : dressing up like a samurai, wearing a samurai helmet (Approx. 10 minutes)
- Samurai mini lesson: How to draw katana, how to correctly hold katana (Approx. 10 minutes)
- Samurai show: An experience Iado practitioner will show you how the samurai practice and fought (approx.10 minutes, 12/3~ Every Sun,Mon,Wed,Thu,Fri,Sat)
- A knowledgeable tour guide will walk you through the rooms of the samurai and ninja museum and explain everything you wondered about the these heroes in plain English. You will learn when the samurai and ninja emerged, what kind of weapons they used, what is their armor made of, what is their sword made of and etc..
- The tour is well organized and fun.
- Your tour guide will teach you about the history of samurai in Kyoto.
- The museum gives you a hands on samurai experience and ninja experience.
- You will get to throw shurikens (ninja stars, use a blowgun and throw chopsticks)
- You will have a chance to put on a samurai helmet and a light samurai armor like the ones shown in the photos below.
- You will also get to hold and pose with a number of different kinds of replica swords as seen in the pictures.
- This activity is included in the fee, there is no additional charge. You can take many instagramworthy photos.
Additionally, if you want to do a tatami cutting by using a real samurai sword, you can reserve for that service separately by paying a small fee here
This activity takes place inside the samurai museum that is located in the heart of Kyoto right next to the wolrd-famous Nishiki Market. You get a tour of the museum that is full of ancient artifacts, authentic samurai swords and tons of replica armors from the feudal Japan. You also get a tour of the ninja exhibitions. Being Japan’s largest experiential museum, the venue also provides kimono and yukata experiences, tea ceremony services and zen meditation services in case you have a friend or a family member who is coming along. You can have this experience on any day of the year. If you would like to do the activity outside the museum, please drop us a message as we have several dojos as well. Don’t forget to check out the samurai and ninja gift shop inside the museum, the only English-speaking place in downtown Kyoto that sells real samurai swords, antique samurai armors in addition to ninja tabi-socks.
* Learn the history of samurai, ninja and Japanese culture led by an English speaking guide
* Get a hands on ninja experience (shuriken throwing and blowgun)
* Try the samurai armor and hold the samurai sword katana
* Enjoyable experience with children. Photos help you remember your adventure, and you can share the fun with friends and family
The word samurai is Japanese, but people from all over the globe are familiar with the term. Universally associated with bravery, martial and military skills and above all else, honor, samurai were part of the military caste in feudal Japan. The samurai have been a part of the Japanese culture from the time of their rise to power around in the 11th century to 1868 when the government abolished the feudal system. The samurai were so admired for their dedication and adherence to the samurai code that ordinary Japanese citizens began to incorporate the ideals of respect, loyalty, and honor into everyday society. The weapons and armor changed over the years, but the samurai are closely connected to the traditional long sword called a katana. They also carried a short sword or knife known as a tachi. Wearing a katana and a tachi combination was called daisho. The daisho became the hallmark of the Samurai. The two swords represented the path of the samurai. The katana was the symbol for fighting a righteous battle, and the daisho was a reminder of personal honor. The Samurai may not roam Japan anymore, but the spirit and dedication to the samurai code of ethics remains.
Not IncludedTransportationHotel pickup and drop-off
Kyoto Samurai & Ninja Museum"Kyoto samurai & ninja museum. Kyoto's best rated samurai, ninja, martial arts and history museum. Our samurai souvenir gift shop also has swords, katana, tabi socks, tabi shoes. A samurai village and samurai house feeling including a ninja dojo inside the museum. The ninja park for kids and a separate kimono tea ceremony room for families also available. Samurai and Kyoto have always been associated throughout history. From the early Heian period to the collapse of the Tokugawa shogunate the samurai and ninja always roamed the streets of Kyoto. Now they are back! What is more, you can have a hands on experience including wearing a samurai armor, doing a shuriken (ninja star) throw and ninja blow gun. Japan's largest experience based museum dedicated to the glorious history of brave samurai warriors, everlasting ninja fighters and the martial arts. Located in the heart of Kyoto.
Address: Teramachi Utanokoji building 2F, 292, Higashidaimonjicho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan 〒604-8043 google map
After booking online you will get your voucher instantly via email!