- Heian means peace in Japanese.
- The aristocratic class was born and there were about 30 different social classes, the top 3 being the court nobility.
- The influence of Buddhism was very high.
- The capital moved from Nara to Kyoto.
- The Japanese imperial family and the Fujiwara clan ruled the country.
- The empire closed its doors to China and developed a more Japanese style of arts, religion and government.
- Aristocracy, poetry and literature was on its peak. The first novel in the world was written (The tale of Genji).
- Byodoin Temple, a world heritage site in Kyoto, was built during the Heian period.
- Emperor Kanmu allowed local landowners to have full time armed fighters. They helped the emperor suppress the rebellions. The head of these clans were called Tai-Shogun.
- First time in history the systematically organized samurai class was born in the Heian period.
- For the next 800 years the samurai class ruled Japan, the emperor had just symbolic presence.
Contact us : firstname.lastname@example.org