No cancellation fee, cancel any time
Gion Geisha Show + Kaiseki Lunch
- The lunch can be enjoyed anytime between 11:30 AM ~ 14:00 PM (Your reserved time session is for “Geisha Experience Gion MAIKO CHAYA” Please double check your reserved session and show up on time. This is the directions to Geisha Experience Gion MAIKO CHAYA)
- The restaurant is a 5 minute walk from Maikoya and the staff will give you clear directions
- The menu has no nuts and no pork. However, if you are vegetarian or gluten-free, the menu may not suit your needs.
- The restaurant has been rated as the top 10% in Kyoto on major review sites.
- The restaurant has a very authentic feeling with traditional design and two small gardens.
- Kaiseki meal is a Japan-only experience with nicely decorated seasonal dishes cooked in 5 different styles (cooked, boiled, steamed, fried and pickled).
- The menu includes fish, soup, fried vegetables, rice, pickles and dessert.
- Since Kaiseki meal changes every season, the menu slightly varies, but the service and the dishes usually look like the picture above.
- This is a value ticket that includes a REAL geisha show, Gion Geisha District walking tour and an Upscale Kaiseki Lunch. Ideal for honeymooners and those who are seeking to spend a special day in Kyoto.
- If you have limited time you can opt out the walking tour or any parts of your reservation.
- You will enjoy learning about the culture, history and hidden gems of Gion in addition to watching an authentic geisha performance.
- A friendly local tour guide will help you discover the hidden gems of the historic streets of Gion.
- If it is a rainy day, we hold the tour inside the Gion Geisha Museum.
- The optional Gion walking tour takes approximately 45 minutes. The Geisha show also takes approximately 45 minutes. There is no time limit for the lunch but people usually spend around 2 hours.
- A professional English speaking tour guide who will escort you all the way
- Walking tour of the historic Gion Geisha District
- Kaiseki dinner at a popular Japanese restaurant which is just 5 minutes from Gion Geisha Museum.
- Geisha or apprentice geisha (maiko) dance performance
- Interaction with the geisha
- Opportunities to take a picture with the geisha or photograph her dance
- Friendly and relaxing atmosphere
- An unforgettable day that includes a walk on the mysterious streets of Gion, watching a geisha perform an elegant dance and a lovely dinner at a picturesque restaurant nearby.
We will walk through the streets of Gion and learn the difference between okiya and ochaya. We will learn how the geishas were trained and lived in these houses. You will be given tips on how the locals arrange a meeting with a geisha and maiko. The tour will conclude at 18:30 at the Gion corner.
- The geisha performance lasts around 45 minutes
- The geisha performance takes place at the traditional Japanese style room of the Geisha Museum conveniently located in the heart of Gion.
- First, the geisha, sometimes apprentice geisha (called maiko), performs her traditional dance in a room with fewer than 20 people
- You are allowed to take pictures during the performance
- After the dance you get to ask geisha questions and you can take a picture with the geisha
- If time left, some audience members get to play simple traditional games with the geisha (e.g. ozashiki asobi)
- There are many genuine geisha artifacts and visuals in the building that explain things you may wonder about the mysterious world of a geisha
- There is an MC hosting the performance who would also explain meaning and symbolism regarding the outfit and dance of the geisha
Gion Walking Tour Route
- We will meet at the Gion Geisha Museum which is on the Shijo Street between the historic Minamiza Kabuki theater and the famous Ichiriki Chaya House.
- Walk towards the intersection of Shijo and Hanamikoji street.
- Make a right to the southern part of the Hanamikoji Street where most elite and prestigious teahouses of Kyoto are located.
- We will walk in front of the teahouses and pass by Gion Corner.
- We will then briefly stop by the Kenninji temple and Yasui Konpiragu shrine where we talk abut the difference between shrine and temple.
- We will complete our tour at the geisha museum where we started.
The walking tour lasts about 30~45 minutes , just enough to learn what you may be wondering about the mysterious world of geisha and the historic Geisha neighborhoods. Whether it is the geisha kimono, the training of the apprentice geisha or the flaws of the movie “memoirs of geisha” you will learn a lot. Walking in the historic Gion geisha district will undoubtedly give you a feeling of time travel where every street has many stories to tell.
The geisha are human beings, they are not objects. You have to respect the privacy of the geisha. You have to understand that you endanger yourself and the geisha in the narrow streets of Gion when you come too close. You have to understand that geisha’s are likely on their way to work and they should not be late.
We are Maikoya Teahouse. All of our guides speak fluent English and know how to make you feel at ease by always being patient and smiling constantly. We also provide handouts in different languages in case you have limited language skills. By participating in this tour you will have a local “friend” showing you around rather than being dragged to routine places by a stranger.
We know that travelers neither want a history lecture nor a fast facts trivia. They just want to feel like a local and learn the Japanese view of Geisha and Gion and the history. Our guests also often ask us about the souvenir shops, restrooms, hidden gems, transportation to their next stop and local favorite restaurants. So we prepared the perfect package tour with the best price that will make your trip to Japan extra rewarding.
Gion Geisha Show + Kaiseki Lunch
IncludedGeisha Dance ShowUpscale lunchGion Walking Tour
Not IncludedTransportationKimono wearing
Geisha Experience Gion MAIKO CHAYAWe are a cultural experience venue located in the heart of Kyoto,Gion the cultural capital of Japan. We pride ourselves on providing authenthinc experiences in Kyoto, Gion. Founded on the four main pricinples of tea ceremony (Harmony, respect, purity and tranquility) Maikoya has gained recognition among both locals and foreigners. Maikoya also recently has been selected as one of the best tea ceremony venues in Japan by Tripadvisor. Learning about a country through cultural workshops and activities will give you a better understanding of our intricate history, valued social principals and holistic way of life. By learning about Japan and its people, you will be immersed in different perspectives and approaches that are unique to this country. Maikoya Gion offers you opportunities to understand this culture through local instructors and guides. There is no better way to learn about a new place from the viewpoints of those who grew up and live in this amazing country. What better way to spend an afternoon than learning a traditional, beautiful new art form with a knowledgeable tutor in a picturesque setting? You wouldn't find friendlier people to help you experience Japan in all its splendour.
Our address is Japan, 桜花 ビル 3F, 576 Gionmachi Minamigawa, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0074 Take Exit 6 at the Gion Shijo Station google map
Our phone number is 075-741-7554
Our email address is email@example.com