No cancellation fee, cancel any time
Click button below to make a payment.
Gion Walking Tour, We May See a Real Geisha (Small Group Tour)
- A professional English speaking tour guide who will escort you all the way
- Walking tour of the historic Gion Geisha District
- Sharing intriguing facts about the Geisha and the locations of the Geisha movies
- Answering any questions you may have about the geisha or Japanese culture & history
- Providing directions to your next destination and suggestions on restaurants and hidden gems of Kyoto
- Display of geisha artifacts, kimonos and etc. at the meeting venue
- Friendly and relaxing atmosphere
We will walk through the streets of Gion and learn the difference between okiya and ochaya. We will learn how the geishas were trained and lived in these houses. You will be given tips on how the locals arrange a meeting with a geisha and maiko. The tour will conclude at 18:30 at the Gion corner.
Gion Walking Tour Route
- We will meet at the Gion Kyoto Geisha Culture Center which is on the Shijo Street between the historic Minamiza Kabuki theater and the famous Ichiriki Chaya House.
- Walk towards the intersection of Shijo and Hanamikoji street.
- Make a right to the southern part of the Hanamikoji Street where most elite and prestigious teahouses of Kyoto are located.
- We will walk in front of the teahouses and pass by Gion Corner.
- We will then briefly stop by the Kenninji temple and Yasui Konpiragu shrine where we talk abut the difference between shrine and temple.
- We will then walk towards Miyagawa cho, another famous geisha district, right by Gion.
- We will complete our tour at the culture center where we started.
The walking tour lasts about 45 minutes , just enough to learn what you may be wondering about the mysterious world of geisha and the historic Geisha neighborhoods. Whether it is the geisha kimono, the training of the apprentice geisha or the flaws of the movie “memoirs of geisha” you will learn a lot. Walking in the historic Gion geisha district will undoubtedly give you a feeling of time travel where every street has many stories to tell.
Disclaimer: Recently there are many incidents where tourists engage in irresponsible behavior in Gion which include
- Blocking the way of the geisha to take a photo
- Chasing and bothering the geisha
- Touching the geishas kimono, hair, accessories
- Trying to take a selfie with a geisha
- Taking the photo of a geisha when she is with a guest
- Littering on the streets of Gion
- Eating fast food while walking in Gion
- Smoking or drinking alcohol on the streets of Gion
- Sitting on the streets of Gion
The geisha are human beings, they are not objects. You have to respect the privacy of the geisha. You have to understand that you endanger yourself and the geisha in the narrow streets of Gion when you come too close. You have to understand that geisha’s are likely on their way to work and they should not be late.
We are Maikoya. All of our guides speak fluent English and know how to make you feel at ease by always being patient and smiling constantly. We also provide handouts in different languages in case you have limited language skills. By participating in this tour you will have a local “friend” showing you around rather than being dragged to routine places by a stranger.
We know that travelers neither want a history lecture nor a fast facts trivia. They just want to feel like a local and learn the Japanese view of Geisha and Gion and the history. Our guests also often ask us about the souvenir shops, restrooms, hidden gems, transportation to their next stop and local favorite restaurants. So we prepared the perfect package tour with the best price that will make your trip to Japan extra rewarding.
Gion Kyoto Geisha ToursGion Kyoto Geisha Tours is a company that organizes tours in Gion and other parts of Japan. We provide geisha experiences in Kyoto including Gion geisha walking tours, kimono wearing experience and kimono tours, geisha makeover and maiko transformation experience, geisha show, geisha dinner show.