JAPANESE CLOTH WRAPPING
Japanese Cloth Wrapping Workshop
Welcome to the Japanese Cloth Wrapping Workshop page by Maikoya Osaka. We pride ourselves on providing authentic Japanese cultural experiences to tourists and residents alike. Learning about a country through cultural workshops and activities will give you a better understanding of our intricate history, valued social principals and holistic way of life. By learning about Japan and its people, you will be immersed in different perspectives and approaches that are unique to this country. Maikoya Osaka offers you opportunities to understand this culture through local instructors and guides. There is no better way to learn about a new place from the viewpoints of those who grew up and live in this amazing country. What better way to spend an afternoon than learning a traditional, beautiful new art form with a knowledgeable tutor in a picturesque setting? You wouldn’t find friendlier people to help you experience Japan in all its splendour.
The Japanese Cloth Wrapping Workshop provides an enjoyable introduction to the art of Japanese cloth wrapping. Japanese cloth wrapping is called furoshiki, and is the act of wrapping important items in Japanese cloth. This is an art form as the cloths used have beautiful designs and the way they are wrapped creates an intricate tie. Some furoshiki wraps even look like baskets, bags or even more complex designs! Furoshiki has become very popular in Japan and overseas as wrapping items such as gifts has been seen as trendy and eco-friendly. The class is run by a professional master in Japanese cloth wrapping who will teach you how to wrap items in a range of cloths and tie designs. When was the last time you wrapped a present without using wrapping paper? You might use furoshiki cloths for all your wrapping needs after this workshop!
Under the expert guidance of furoshiki instructors, you will have a go at wrapping a range of gifts and items. The cloth used will be given to you to take home as a memento of your experience. You will be encouraged to use traditional cloths and tying techniques that have been developed over hundreds of years. All classes will be in English and will last around 90 minutes in a traditionally decorated room. You will learn how versatile Japanese furoshiki cloths can be and how important gift giving manners are in Japanese culture.
What can you expect in this Japanese Cloth Wrapping Workshop?
- A range of traditional furoshiki cloth wrapping styles and their history
- A friendly tutor will teach furoshiki tying techniques and Japanese gift giving customs
- You can take the furoshiki cloth used as a memento of your workshop
- Held in a traditionally styled room with beautiful historic decor
- Opportunities for taking photographs will be highlighted throughout
Japanese Cloth Wrapping Workshops are held at the Osaka Experiences section of the Maikoya Osaka Centre. This is a brand new tourist and entertainment complex in the popular Shinsaibashi shopping area, Osaka. At the end of the workshop, you can continue with a range of other activities and workshops at Maikoya Osaka to create a Japanese cultural experience you won’t ever forget.
Why choose Osaka Experiences for your workshop experience? We show off cultural activities with a difference!
Your workshop will include:
- An introduction to Japanese cloth wrapping (furoshiki)
- This is taught by a friendly instructor who speaks English
- The instructor is a professional who has had years of training and experience in Japanese furoshiki
- All necessary wrapping supplies and cloths will be provided
- The workshop will be taught to a small class of 6 or so people
- You will be inspired in a classroom decorated in traditional Japanese décor and architecture
- Explanations of furoshiki history and cultural importance will be included in your instruction
- Furoshiki you use can go home with you as a souvenir
- Located in the Maikoya Osaka building in central Osaka
- If you give notice, guides can pick you up from your chosen train station in Osaka.
Learn Japanese culture with all of your senses – especially your sense of wonder! Book today!